[Gluster-users] Antw: Re: MS Office/Samba/Glusterfs/Centos

Adrian Valeanu Adrian.Valeanu at idiada.com
Mon Jan 27 09:57:51 UTC 2014

Hi,
over the weekend I installed ctdb from here https://ftp.samba.org/pub/ctdb/packages/redhat/RHEL6/2.5.1/ .
Now the situation is even worse than before. The tdb databases of Samba are clustered now, but of course all of them are clustered.
I can join the first server in to the AD domain without problems. When I join the second one (the tdb are clustered) it messes the join of the first.
This might be desirable in an HA situation where an ip takeover happens but for me it is contra productive. This is mentioned somewhere in the samba
documentation. It would be nice to only have the tdb clustered where the locks happen but maybe this use case is too strange.
And of course this is no Glusterfs problem anymore.

>>> Paul Robert Marino <prmarino1 at gmail.com> 23.01.2014 23:12 >>>
Ira

In clustered mode stores locking information in a TDB so thats why you
need to configure CTDB and tell samba its clustered in the configed so
it will keep the sync databases in sync.

By the way samba does still do spinlocks or at least it did last year
here an intresting thread where they were talking about spinlocks,
fcntl locks and TDB based locks
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mailing.unix.samba-technical/hM-t2pBf_Hs

That said spinlocks are just the first thing that came to mind
(because that was part of many discussions back in the 2.x days) and
was not best choice of words on my part.