[Gluster-users] Building base VM images for GlusterFS

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 17:07:46 UTC 2014

Hey Niles and Gluster,

I a little while back we were both looking at building base images for
testing GlusterFS [1]. My objective was to use Vagrant, which I've done
and published [2]. As it turned out, I wasn't able to find any suitable
base images to use, so I've had to build and customize my own [3]. As I
understood it, this might have been one of the prerequisites for your
work too.

In any case, I've now also published my base box builder tools, which
you and/or the Gluster community might find helpful. I've written a
short article about the process here:

https://ttboj.wordpress.com/2014/01/20/building-base-images-for-vagrant-with-a-makefile/

and if you want to dive right to the source it is available here:

https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-gluster/tree/master/builder

and also mirrored here for johnmark:

https://forge.gluster.org/puppet-gluster/puppet-gluster/trees/master/builder

(hi johnmark)

I ended up using a Makefile [4] to manage the process, which I think is
pretty elegant and lean.

The only known issue at the moment, is that I had to disable SELinux in
the guest images. If anyone is able to look at the reasoning [5], and
perhaps suggest a fix or workaround, it would be appreciated!

I hope you all find this useful.

Happy hacking,

James

[1] http://gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2013-December/038312.html