[Gluster-users] Let the GlusterFest Begin - Tonight!

John Mark Walker johnmark at johnmark.org
Thu Jan 16 20:40:43 UTC 2014

As I mentioned yesterday, the GlusterFest is almost nigh. This time, we'll
break out testing into two types:

- Performance testing
- Feature testing

To learn about the GlusterFest and what it is, visit the GlusterFest home:
    gluster.org/gfest

Remember that if you file a bug that is verified by the Gluster QE team,
you'll win a t-shirt plus other swag.

---PERFORMANCE TESTING---

We are lucky in that two individuals have stepped up with tools to help
with performance testing. One is James Shubin with his Puppet-Gluster
module:

  https://forge.gluster.org/puppet-gluster/

Together with his blog posts on puppet-gluster + vagrant, you should have
an easy way to deploy GlusterFS:

http://www.gluster.org/2014/01/automatically-deploying-glusterfs-with-puppet-gluster-vagrant/

Also, Ben England recently released some code for his Smallfile performance
testing project, which targets metadata-intensive workloads:

   http://forge.gluster.org/smallfile-performance-testing

He also wrote up a nice primer on performance testing on the Gluster wiki
that discusses iozone, smallfile, and how to utilize performance testing in
general:

http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Performance_Testing

Please follow the instructions on the GlusterFest page (gluster.org/gfest)
and report your results there. Some of the test results are quite large, so
you will want to report test results on a separate page, either on the
Gluster.org wiki or on the paste site of your choosing, such as fpaste.org.

Please file any bugs and report them on the gluster-devel list, as well as
providing links on the GlusterFest page.

---FEATURE TESTING---

In addition to performance, we have new features in 3.5 which needs some
further testing. Please follow the instructions on the GlusterFest page and
add your results there. Some of the developers were kind enough to include
testing scenarios with their feature pages. If you want your feature to be
tested but didn't supply any testing information, please add that now.

The GlusterFest begins in a few hours (00:00 GMT/UTC) and ends at 23:59
GMT/UTC on Monday, January 20.

Rev your engines and get ready for some testing!

-JM