[Gluster-users] libgfapi on ubuntu

Josh Boon gluster at joshboon.com
Tue Jan 14 17:28:02 UTC 2014

Hi Joe,

I've not had the problem you're experiencing. I have a little different process though. I do all of image work and prep as root and then change owner when I'm ready to have it interact with qemu. I'm running glusterfs 3.4.1 on Ubuntu 13.04 using the build steps I've outlined below for Bernhard. I've the insecure option enabled but I don't do any funky stuff with uid and gid at the gluster level.

Hi Bernhard,

I've had good luck building upstream using qemu from debian sid for ubuntu 13.10. Rough steps to build follow
#Make first rough attempt at getting build dependencies
apt-get build-dep qemu
# get almost all the rest and the tools to work up the debian magic
apt-get install devscripts quilt libiscsi-dev libseccomp-dev libusbredirparser-dev libssh2-1-dev libvdeplug-dev libjpeg-dev glusterfs*
# we need a newer version of libseccomp
mkdir libseccomp
cd libseccomp
# grab it from upstream sid
wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libs/libseccomp/libseccomp_2.1.0+dfsg.orig.tar.gz

wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libs/libseccomp/libseccomp_2.1.0+dfsg-1.debian.tar.gz

# get it ready

tar xf libseccomp_2.1.0+dfsg.orig.tar.gz

cd libseccomp-2.1.0+dfsg/

# install the debian magic

tar xf ../libseccomp_2.1.0+dfsg-1.debian.tar.gz

# apply series files if any

while quilt push; do quilt refresh; done

# build debs, they'll appear one directory up

debuild -i -us -uc -b

cd ..

# install it

dpkg -i *.deb

# qemu deps have been satisfied let's build

cd ..

mkdir qemu

cd qemu

# download our sources. you'll want to check back frequently on these for changes

wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/q/qemu/qemu_1.7.0+dfsg.orig.tar.xz
wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/q/qemu/qemu_1.7.0+dfsg-2.debian.tar.gz

wget http://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/3.4/LATEST/glusterfs-3.4.2.tar.gz

tar xf glusterfs-3.4.2.tar.gz

tar xf qemu_1.7.0+dfsg.orig.tar.xz

cd qemu-1.7.0+dfsg/

# unpack the debian magic

tar xf ../qemu_1.7.0+dfsg-2.debian.tar.gz

# bring glusterfs in to the buiild

cp -r ../glusterfs-3.4.2 glusterfs

# the glusterfs check in configure looks around weird. I've never asked why but moving the src stuff up one works and tests fine

cd glusterfs/api/
mv src/* .
cd ../..
#you'll need to edit debian/control to enable glusterfs replacing

##--enable-glusterfs todo

#with the following

# --enable-glusterfs
glusterfs-common (>= 3.4.0),

#And finally build. It'll take ages. http://xkcd.com/303/
# apply series if any

while quilt push; do quilt refresh; done

# build packages

debuild -i -us -uc -b

# You now have shiny qemu debs up a directory to install as you please with.

Let me know if you have any problems. Also have you tried out the new port option in 3.4.2 yet for migrations?