[Gluster-users] xattr and ZFS

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Mon Jan 13 18:18:49 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 01:54 PM, Franco Broi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have about 400TB of storage running dht on ZFS and want to change the
> way the extended attributes are stored, assuming it's safe to do this in
> ZFS version 0.6.2? I discovered by experimentation that if I remove the
> attributes on the server, Gluster will remake them when a file is first
> accessed. So the question is, would it be safe to simply delete all the
> attributes from all files and just let Gluster remake them?

GlusterFS does maintain state in extended attributes and manually
altering this state information has to be done very carefully.Removing
extended attributes for directories is not recommended as this can
potentially result in gfid split brains.

As far as files go in a distributed cluster (with no replication), the
gfid attribute can be removed and it gets re-created on access. What
other attributes do you intend removing?

-Vijay