[Gluster-users] 2 Replicas on 3 servers

Chris Clarke cclarke at centiq.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 12:38:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've seen the other post recently on 3 servers and 2 replicas, but it
doesn't answer the essential point of whether you can have a replica of 2
with 3 servers if those servers have 1 brick on each server.

I'm looking to replicate the behaviour of an IBM GPFS filesystem, where I
have a 3 node cluster with a replication factor of 2.  As GPFS is block
based, then each block of data is stored on two of the 3 servers, i.e.
block 1 may be on server 1 and 3, block 2 may be on server 1 and 2, block 3
may be on 2 and 3...

Is it possible to do a similar thing with Gluster?  I'd also love it to be
possible to extend the filesystem by adding extra servers and being able to
rebalance the file's distribution across them, but keeping the replication
factor of 2, so I can always stand the loss of a single node without data
loss.

Is any of this achievable?

Thanks

Chris

--
Confidentiality: This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above
named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you

Security Warning: Please note that this e-mail has been created in the
knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium.
We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when
e-mailing us.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.

Centiq Ltd
Registered in England with number 3593921.
Registered office: Unit 1, Charles Park, Charles Way, Cinderhill Road,
Nottingham, NG6 8RF