[Gluster-users] number of bricks given doesn't match required count

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Fri Feb 14 21:10:53 UTC 2014

On 02/14/2014 11:56 AM, Florent Bautista wrote:

> On 02/14/2014 05:11 PM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
>>
>> With 4 bricks (brick = node + volume) and "replica 3" you'd only have
>> a replica of one of your bricks, the other two would not be protected.
>
> I really don't understand what you call "replica" so...

gluster replication on a 'per brick' basis.

A simple "replica 2" volume requires two bricks. All "replica 2" volumes
require a multiple of two bricks, all "replica 3" volumes require a
multiple of three bricks, and so on.

Since you also want to use "stripe 2" for "security" in addition to
replication — i.e. 3×2 — you'll need six bricks to create the volume.

If you were to do "stripe 3" then it'd be 3×3, nine bricks to create the
volume.

--

Kaleb