[Gluster-users] What does this T bit mean?

Antonio Messina antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 16:42:53 UTC 2014

I can only reply on the linux-specific part as I am no gluster expert :)

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Khoi Mai <KHOIMAI at up.com> wrote:
> In my 4 node gluster.  I was hunting down a split-brain report.  2 of my 4
> bricks shows this as a bit attribute
>
> ---------T 2 48791 50011        0 Feb 12 07:41 TFE Metrics.xlsx

the 'T' means that the sticky bit of the file permission is set and no
executable bit is set (otherwise it would be "t" instead of "T")

The sticky bit in Linux only makes sense for directories: a file
contained in a directory with the sticky bit set can only be removed
by its owner (or root). It is usually set in temporary directories
like /tmp or /var/tmp

For files I don't know if it has an actual meaning, but it's never used AFAIK.

The ocotal permission of this file is "01000", and since it doesn't
usually make much sense to have a file with *only* the sticky bit set,
I would guess that something bad happened during the creation of the
file, but I can't guess what. Is the brick ok?

.a.

antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
antonio.messina at uzh.ch                     +41 (0)44 635 42 22
GC3: Grid Computing Competence Center      http://www.gc3.uzh.ch/