[Gluster-users] Gluster, Samba, and VFS

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Tue Feb 11 09:07:13 UTC 2014

On 02/10/2014 09:13 PM, Matt Miller wrote:
> Stumbled upon
> https://forge.gluster.org/samba-glusterfs/samba-glusterfs-vfs/commits/master
> when trying to find info on how to make Gluster and Samba play nice as a
> general purpose file server.  I have had severe performance problems in
> the past with mounting the Gluster volume as a Fuse mount, then
> exporting the Fuse mount thru Samba.  As I found out after setting up
> the cluster this is somewhat expected when serving out lots of small
> files.  Was hoping VFS would provide better performance when serving out
> lots and lots of small files.
>
> Is anyone using VFS extensions in production?  Is it ready for prime
> time?  I could not find a single reference to it on Gluster's main
> website (maybe I am looking in the wrong place), so not sure of the
> stability or supported-ness of this.

We do support this VFS extension and actively welcome your feedback in
this area. FWIW, Red Hat Storage 2.1 uses this plugin in its offering [1].

-Vijay

[1]
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Storage/2.1/html/Administration_Guide/sect-Administration_Guide-GlusterFS_Client-CIFS.html