[Gluster-users] Striped Volume and Client Configuration

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Mon Feb 10 16:05:34 UTC 2014

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 14:11:01 -0800
James Lee <uptownhr at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I have been following a guide to setup my first glusterfs setup going. I
> wanted to setup a striped glusterfs across 2 or more nodes. So I was able
> to get my striped volume setup and started. I have also setup my client to
> connect to the volume and the mount has been successful.
>
> Now the guide that I've followed was for a replication setup. On the client
> end, the .vol configuration file contains the replicate method and is
> defining both of my nodes. When using this the replicate method, I can see
> that the file I add to my client mount will appear in both nodes. However,
> if i do not specify the 'replicate' volume, the file only appears on one of
> the server.
>
> Now I'm trying to understand how the 'striped' volume works and how the
> clients stripe vs distribute method is different? Only way I was able to
> get files to appear on both volumes was using the 'distribute' method.

Ahhh, a bunch of this looks like you need better understanding of the
GlusterFS foundations. :)

Is watching online video an effective learning method for you?  If so,
Dustin Black's "GlusterFS for SysAdmins" presentation should fill in a
lot of gaps:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkBndZOcEA0

The slides for it:

  http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/File:Gluster_for_Sysadmins_Dustin_Black.pdf

Possibly also interesting is the "gluster-deploy" wizard written by
Paul Cuzner:

  https://forge.gluster.org/gluster-deploy

He did a screencast/talk thing for an early version of it, and it's
progressed a bunch since then (has v good rep):

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxyPLnlCdhA

Does that help? :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift