[Gluster-users] Gluster, Samba, and VFS

Matt Miller matt at mattandtiff.com
Mon Feb 10 15:43:22 UTC 2014

Stumbled upon
https://forge.gluster.org/samba-glusterfs/samba-glusterfs-vfs/commits/masterwhen
trying to find info on how to make Gluster and Samba play nice as a
general purpose file server.  I have had severe performance problems in the
past with mounting the Gluster volume as a Fuse mount, then exporting the
Fuse mount thru Samba.  As I found out after setting up the cluster this is
somewhat expected when serving out lots of small files.  Was hoping VFS
would provide better performance when serving out lots and lots of small
files.

Is anyone using VFS extensions in production?  Is it ready for prime time?
I could not find a single reference to it on Gluster's main website (maybe
I am looking in the wrong place), so not sure of the stability or
supported-ness of this.