[Gluster-users] two questions regarding glusterfs cluster: tierd storage and hotspare brick

Zhu,Chao zhuchao at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 14:54:04 UTC 2014

Thanks John.
I got your idea, raid at OS/HW level; But that means you will have two
layer of duplication:
   Raid at HW level;
   And another replication at glusterfs level;
   Too much storage waste;

But anyway, yes, there is no such feature called spare disks in glusterfs
volume set;
Hope this is put into feature list :)

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM, John Hearns <John.Hearns at viglen.co.uk>
wrote:

>  ------------------------------
>

>  2. As sata disks fails often(relatively, when you got lots of disks...),
> each time a disk fails, i will have to manually replace the disks, and
> replace the bricks;
>
>  Your disks should be part of a RAID set. (you choose the RAID level!)
> If a disk fails, the RAID controller will keep the RAID running, and will
> rebuild when a new disk is inserted.
> Or you can have hot spare disks of course.
>
>  But yes - unless you have a robot arm in the server room you will have
> to manually change the failed disks!
>

> ***********************************Viglen***********************************
> Viglen Ltd, Registered in England No 1208441. Registered Office: 7,
> Handley Page Way, Colney Street, St. Albans, Hertfordshire AL2 2DQ.
>
> Information in this electronic mail message is confidential and may be
> legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this
> message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
> recipient any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message is
> prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our customers, any
> information contained in this message is subject to Viglen Terms &
> Conditions. Please rely on your own virus checker and procedures with
> regard to any attachment to this message.

Regards
Zhu Chao