[Gluster-users] directory ownership bug in gluster 3.4 & 3.5

Peter Drake peter.drake at acquia.com
Fri Aug 22 17:45:37 UTC 2014

I have a replicated Gluster setup, 2 servers (fs-1 and fs-2) x 1 brick.  I
have two clients (also on fs-1 and fs-2) which mount the Gluster volume at
/mnt/gfs (/mnt/gfs type fuse.glusterfs
(rw,default_permissions,allow_other,max_read=131072)).  These clients have
scripts which perform various file operations.  One operation they perform
looks like this (note this is pseudocode, the actual script is PHP):

1. @mkdir(/mnt/gfs/somedir, 0550);
2. chown(1234, /mnt/gfs/somedir);
3. chgrp(1234, /mnt/gfs/somedir);

Note that line 1 may fail on either client because the directory may have
been created on the other client.  These errors are suppressed/ignored.
 When this operation is performed simultaneously on both clients, it
usually succeeds in creating a directory with the expected permissions and
ownership.  Intermittently however, we see that these directories are not
owned by the expected user and group.

I've created a PHP script which can be run on two clients simultaneously to
reproduce the error: https://gist.github.com/pdrakeweb/ae046b4c70a42309be43

The only log entry I can find that appears to be related is from fs-1's
mnt-gfs.log file:

[2014-08-22 12:27:57.661778] I [dht-layout.c:640:dht_layout_normalize]
0-test-fs-cluster-1-dht: found anomalies in /test-target/test1408710477.7.
holes=1 overlaps=0

This occurs in both Gluster 3.4.1 and 3.5.2 (the only two versions I have
tested for this).  I am unable to reproduce the problem on a local
(non-gluster) filesystem.  I'd appreciate any insight people might have
into what is going on here and whether this is a bug in Gluster.

--
*Peter Drake *|* Cloud Software Engineer* |  Acquia <http://acquia.com/>

O: 781.238.4236

*E:* peter.drake at acquia.com  |  Skype: pdrakeweb

W: http://www.acquia.com <http://www.acquia.com/>

Address: 25 Corporate Drive 4th Floor, Burlington, MA 01803

Acquia ranked #1 Software Vendor on the 2012 Inc 500
<http://www.acquia.com/about-us/newsroom/press-releases/inc-magazine-unveils-31st-annual-list-america-s-fastest-growing>

Acquia named One of America’s Most Promising Companies by Forbes
<http://www.acquia.com/about-us/newsroom/press-releases/acquia-named-forbes-100-list-america-s-most-promising-companies-nov>

Drupal Sites: http://drupalshowcase.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/Acquia