[Gluster-users] Our plan to get bugs fixed quicker, and features implemented sooner

Joe Julian me at joejulian.name
Fri Aug 22 05:55:46 UTC 2014

There have been times that I, as a user and a front-line supporter, have
marked a bug with the urgency that I think it deserves - based on my own
knowledge as well as feedback from other users - only to have that
urgency lowered to normal because a developer who doesn't experience the
urgency we do as users, deemed it so.

Granted, there have also been many occasions where I didn't set the
urgency and my bug has been treated as if it was a message from beyond
the natural realm, for which I am truly grateful.

When I set the urgency, I try to consider more than just my own current
needs (though often they're truly quite urgent) and look at potential
for data loss, likelihood to encounter the bug during normal operations,
and feedback from other users who have (usually) encountered the same
bug. To have all that forethought discarded is disheartening. For that
reason, I never set the urgency of any of my bugs any more.

I would be willing to participate in triage, but I would expect the same
rigidness in changing an urgency as there is in getting a change
accepted. The developer who wants to change the urgency should be
expected to argue his case, not simply change it.