[Gluster-users] glusterfs to replace nfs?

cvb at kruemel.org cvb at kruemel.org
Mon Aug 18 11:59:41 UTC 2014

>> maybe a daft, but hopefully easy question: I'm having some issues
>> with nfs, statd, etc., which I'm unable to resolve since months (and
>> which are on-topic elsewhere), and am therefore looking for
>> alternatives to mount some resources on my storage server to a
>> couple of VMs running here.
>
> Some of the issues with NFS can occur with GlusterFS too, it just
> depends on what issues you're talking about. A pointer to the related
> discussions would be helpful.

Actually, there is a multitude of issues. One may be related to

http://serverfault.com/questions/527463/desperate-statd-timed-out-lockd-cannot-monitor-unmonitor

I also appear to be having this issue - only that the solution provided
there did not help:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nfs-utils/+bug/1089941

Finally, there appear to be race conditions with mounting nfs at boot in
Ubuntu. Some hints on this could be seen, e.g., here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nfs-utils/+bug/1095917

The issue for me is that often the entire boot hangs when the mounts
don't work out. So I had to build a script checking if the VMs come up
ok, and if not, they are destroyed and booted again. Clumsy. That plus
the other issues impacting performance of not only the VM, but the
entire network convinced me to move away from nfs for now.

Thanks for your other feedback. That reads quite well, and as I don't
have resource issues on the metal machine at all, let's see how things
work out with glusterfs.

Thx!