[Gluster-users] Gluster-users Digest, Vol 76, Issue 18 - Re: reading not distributed across bricks

Ben England bengland at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 12:48:50 UTC 2014

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 09:53:30 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Justin Clift <justin at gluster.org>
> To: Pranith Kumar Karampuri <pkarampu at redhat.com>
> Cc: gluster-users at gluster.org, Ray Mannings <manningsray1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Gluster-users] Reading not distributed across bricks

Ray,
There already is a feature, from gluster volume set help:
"Option: cluster.read-hash-mode
0 = first responder,
1 = hash by GFID of file (all clients use same subvolume),
2 = hash by GFID of file and client PID"

This is particularly useful for benchmark tests, where the system may not have response time data sufficient to properly load balance and I have seen all the clients select the same replica using default value of 0.  The value 2 is nice because if many clients are reading the same file, the load is distributed across bricks.
-ben