[Gluster-users] high memory usage of mount

Ryan Clough ryan.clough at dsic.com
Mon Aug 4 19:07:57 UTC 2014

Hi,
I too was experiencing this issue on my bricks. I am using version 3.5.2
and after setting io-cache and quick-read to "off", as Poornima suggested,
I am no longer seeing glusterfs gobbling memory. I noticed it first when I
enabled quotas and during the quota-crawl glusterfs process would be OOM
killed by the kernel. Before, my bricks would consume all available memory
until swap was exhausted and the kernel OOMs the glusterfs process. There
is a rebalance running right now and glusterfs is behaving. Here is some
output of my current config. Let me know if I can provide anything else to
help.

[root at tgluster01 ~]# gluster volume status all detail
Status of volume: tgluster_volume
Brick                : Brick tgluster01:/gluster_data
Port                 : 49153
Online               : Y
Pid                  : 2407
File System          : xfs
Device               : /dev/mapper/vg_data-lv_data
Mount Options        :
rw,noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8,logbsize=256k,inode64,nobarrier
Inode Size           : 512
Disk Space Free      : 3.5TB
Total Disk Space     : 27.3TB
Inode Count          : 2929685696
Free Inodes          : 2863589912
Brick                : Brick tgluster02:/gluster_data
Port                 : 49152
Online               : Y
Pid                  : 2402
File System          : xfs
Device               : /dev/mapper/vg_data-lv_data
Mount Options        :
rw,noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8,logbsize=256k,inode64,nobarrier
Inode Size           : 512
Disk Space Free      : 5.4TB
Total Disk Space     : 27.3TB
Inode Count          : 2929685696
Free Inodes          : 2864874648

[root at tgluster01 ~]# gluster volume status
Status of volume: tgluster_volume
Gluster process                        Port    Online    Pid
Brick tgluster01:/gluster_data                49153    Y    2407
Brick tgluster02:/gluster_data                49152    Y    2402
Quota Daemon on localhost                N/A    Y    2415
Quota Daemon on tgluster02                N/A    Y    2565

Task Status of Volume tgluster_volume
Task                 : Rebalance
ID                   : 31fd1edb-dd6d-4c25-b4b5-1ce7bc0670f3
Status               : in progress

[root at tgluster01 ~]# gluster volume info
Volume Name: tgluster_volume
Type: Distribute
Volume ID: 796774f8-f9ec-476c-9d08-0f5f937d5ad9
Number of Bricks: 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: tgluster01:/gluster_data
Brick2: tgluster02:/gluster_data
Options Reconfigured:
features.quota-deem-statfs: on
performance.client-io-threads: on
performance.md-cache-timeout: 1
performance.cache-max-file-size: 10MB
network.ping-timeout: 60
performance.write-behind-window-size: 4MB
performance.read-ahead: on
performance.cache-refresh-timeout: 1
performance.cache-size: 10GB
performance.quick-read: off
nfs.disable: on
features.quota: on
performance.io-thread-count: 24
cluster.eager-lock: on
server.statedump-path: /var/log/glusterfs/
performance.flush-behind: on
performance.write-behind: on
performance.stat-prefetch: on
performance.io-cache: off

[root at tgluster01 ~]# gluster volume status all mem
Memory status for volume : tgluster_volume
Brick : tgluster01:/gluster_data
Mallinfo
--------
Arena    : 25788416
Ordblks  : 7222
Smblks   : 1
Hblks    : 12
Hblkhd   : 16060416
Usmblks  : 0
Fsmblks  : 80
Uordblks : 25037744
Fordblks : 750672
Keepcost : 132816

Mempool Stats
-------------
Name                            HotCount ColdCount PaddedSizeof AllocCount
MaxAlloc   Misses Max-StdAlloc
----                            -------- --------- ------------ ----------
-------- -------- ------------
tgluster_volume-server:fd_t           11      1013          108
194246       22        0            0
tgluster_volume-server:dentry_t     16384         0           84
1280505    16384   481095        32968
tgluster_volume-server:inode_t     16383         1          156
13974240    16384  7625153        39688
tgluster_volume-changelog:changelog_local_t         0        64
108          0        0        0            0
tgluster_volume-locks:pl_local_t         0        32          148
3922857        4        0            0
tgluster_volume-marker:marker_local_t         0       128          332
6163938        8        0            0
tgluster_volume-quota:struct saved_frame         0        16
124      65000        6        0            0
tgluster_volume-quota:struct rpc_req         0        16          588
65000        6        0            0
tgluster_volume-quota:quota_local_t         0        64          404
4476051        8        0            0
tgluster_volume-server:rpcsvc_request_t         0       512         2828
6694494        8        0            0
glusterfs:struct saved_frame           0         8          124
2        2        0            0
glusterfs:struct rpc_req               0         8          588
2        2        0            0
glusterfs:rpcsvc_request_t             1         7         2828
2        1        0            0
glusterfs:data_t                     164     16219           52
60680465     2012        0            0
glusterfs:data_pair_t                159     16224           68
34718980     1348        0            0
glusterfs:dict_t                      15      4081          140
24689263      714        0            0
glusterfs:call_stub_t                  0      1024         3756
8263013        9        0            0
glusterfs:call_stack_t                 1      1023         1836
6675669        8        0            0
glusterfs:call_frame_t                 0      4096          172
55532603      251        0            0
Brick : tgluster02:/gluster_data
Mallinfo
--------
Arena    : 18714624
Ordblks  : 4211
Smblks   : 1
Hblks    : 12
Hblkhd   : 16060416
Usmblks  : 0
Fsmblks  : 80
Uordblks : 18250608
Fordblks : 464016
Keepcost : 131360

Mempool Stats
-------------
Name                            HotCount ColdCount PaddedSizeof AllocCount
MaxAlloc   Misses Max-StdAlloc
----                            -------- --------- ------------ ----------
-------- -------- ------------
tgluster_volume-server:fd_t           11      1013          108
155373       22        0            0
tgluster_volume-server:dentry_t     16383         1           84
1297732    16384   396012        21124
tgluster_volume-server:inode_t     16384         0          156
13896002    16384  7434842        24494
tgluster_volume-changelog:changelog_local_t         0        64
108          0        0        0            0
tgluster_volume-locks:pl_local_t         2        30          148
5578625       17        0            0
tgluster_volume-marker:marker_local_t         3       125          332
6834019       68        0            0
tgluster_volume-quota:struct saved_frame         0        16
124      64922       10        0            0
tgluster_volume-quota:struct rpc_req         0        16          588
65000       10        0            0
tgluster_volume-quota:quota_local_t         3        61          404
4216852       64        0            0
tgluster_volume-server:rpcsvc_request_t         3       509         2828
6406870       64        0            0
glusterfs:struct saved_frame           0         8          124
2        2        0            0
glusterfs:struct rpc_req               0         8          588
2        2        0            0
glusterfs:rpcsvc_request_t             1         7         2828
2        1        0            0
glusterfs:data_t                     185     16198           52
80402618     1427        0            0
glusterfs:data_pair_t                177     16206           68
40014499      737        0            0
glusterfs:dict_t                      18      4078          140
35345779      729        0            0
glusterfs:call_stub_t                  3      1021         3756
21374090       68        0            0
glusterfs:call_stack_t                 4      1020         1836
6824400       68        0            0
glusterfs:call_frame_t                20      4076          172
97255627      388        0            0

Ryan Clough
Information Systems
Decision Sciences International Corporation
<http://www.decisionsciencescorp.com/>
<http://www.decisionsciencescorp.com/>

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 11:36 PM, Poornima Gurusiddaiah <pgurusid at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From the statedump it is evident that the iobufs are leaking.
> Also the hot count of the pool-name=w-vol-io-cache:rbthash_entry_t is
> 10053, implies io-cache xlator could be the cause of the leak.
> From the logs, it looks like, quick-read performance xlator is calling
> iobuf_free with NULL pointers, implies quick-read could be leaking iobufs
> as well.
>
> As a temperory solution, could you disable io-cache and/or quick-read and
> see if the leak still persists?
>
> $gluster volume set io-cache off
> $gluster volume set quick-read off
>
> This may reduce the performance to certain extent.
>
> For further debugging, could you provide the core dump or steps to
> reproduce if avaiable?
>
> Regards,
> Poornima

This communication is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any
review, re-transmission, dissemination, copying or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this
communication in error, please report the error to the sender by return
email and delete this communication from your records.