[Gluster-users] Native client reads from a replication volume

Kal Black kaloblak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 14:41:17 UTC 2013

Hi Kaleb,
Thank you very much for the replay. What you have described was also my
initial understanding, but  in order to confirm it I made a test where
using Gluster 3.4.0 on a CentOS 6.4 64bit servers, I created a replicated
volume:

gluster volume create 100K replica 2 192.168.1.3:/export/100K 192.168.1.4:
/export/100K

which I mounted under the document root on dedicated Apache server. Created
10 000 x 100K files:

for i in $(seq 10000); do tr -dc "[:alpha:]" < /dev/urandom | head -c
102400 > /var/www/html/100k/f$i ; done

and start querying them form a dedicated workstation using httperf in a
high rate:

httperf --hog --server 192.168.1.2 --wlog y,/var/tmp/100K_urls --num-calls
1 --num-conns 30000 --rate 100

I used iptraf on the gluster servers and gluster client, and the results
showed that the client box is getting very close to double the total size
of the files being requested (once from each gluster server)
To double check, I used also the stats given by   "gluster volume status
Volname client"  and the difference between the BytesWritten for the
client, respectively for each brick, before and after the httperf execution
match closely the size of the requested files (thus close to double the
total size of the requested files)

Do you have any suggestion why am I observing this or what supposedly is
wrong with my setup or conclusions.

Thank you!
Kal