[Gluster-users] FW: Backup / Restore for Gluster volumes.

Tamas Papp tompos at martos.bme.hu
Mon Sep 2 06:48:12 UTC 2013

On 09/01/2013 08:10 AM, Bobby Jacob wrote:

> [...]

I wouldn't make backups under glusterfs. In theory it should work, but there are too many critical
points in the system.

For example you need to stop every transaction (in case of VMs, then all of them) to make consistent
snapshots.
If you have multiple bricks, all of them has to be snapshotted at the same time....etc.
In addition restoring would be nightmare.

IMHO, it's a crazy idea.

tamas

ui.: I use dirvish (rsync based backup solution) and it works fine, though cluster side snapshotting
feature would help a lot.