[Gluster-users] Excessive file descriptor usage

Joel Stalder jstalder at panterranetworks.com
Mon Oct 28 17:36:22 UTC 2013

Folks,

I'm using Gluster 3.4 on CentOS 6. very simple two-server, two-brick
(replica 2) setup. The volume itself has many small files across a
reasonably large directory tree, though I'm not sure if that plays a role.
The FUSE client is being used.

I can live with the performance limitations of small files with Gluster, but
the problem I'm having is that file descriptor usage on the glusterfs
servers just continues to grow. not sure when it might actually top off, if
ever. No rebalance has been or is running. The application running on the
client servers (two) are not leaving the files open.

I've tuned Linux behavior on the glusterfs servers, via /proc, to accept
over 1 million per-process file descriptors, but that doesn't seem to be
enough. This volume hit the FD max some time ago and had to be recovered. I
thought it was a fluke so started watching the open FD count and see that
it's growing again.

# gluster volume top users open

Brick: node-75:/storage/users

Current open fds: 765651, Max open fds: 1048558, Max openfd time: 2013-10-02
22:26:18.327010

Brick: node-76:/storage/users

Current open fds: 768936, Max open fds: 768938, Max openfd time: 2013-10-28
17:11:04.184964

Clients:

# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

5100    0       1572870

# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

2550    0       1572870

Looking for thoughts or suggestions here. Anyone else encountered this? Is
the recommended solution to just define a ridiculously high per-process and
global file descriptor max?

-Joel