[Gluster-users] GlusterFS HA testing feedback

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Tue Oct 22 20:13:27 UTC 2013

On 10/22/2013 02:42 AM, José A. Lausuch Sales wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are currently evaluating GlusterFS for a production environment.
> Our focus is on the high-availability features of GlusterFS. However,
> our tests have not worked out well. Hence I am seeking feedback from you.
>

> In our planned production environment, Gluster should provide shared
> storage for VM disk images. So, our very basic initial test setup is
> as follows:
>

> We are using two servers, each providing a single brick of a
> replicated gluster volume (Gluster 3.4.1). A third server runs a
> test-VM (Ubuntu 13.04 on QEMU 1.3.0 and libvirt 1.0.3) which uses a
> disk image file stored on the gluster volume as block device
> (/dev/vdb). For testing purposes, the root file system of this VM
> (/dev/vda) is a disk image NOT stored on the gluster volume.
>

> To test the high-availability features of gluster under load, we run
> FIO inside the VM directly on the vdb block device (see configuration
> below). Up to now, we tested reading only. The test procedure is as
> follows:
>
> 1.We start FIO inside the VM and observe by means of "top" which of
> the two servers receives the read requests (i.e., increased CPU load
> of the glusterd process). Let's say that Server1 has the CPU load by
> glusterfsd.
>
> 2.While FIO is running, we take down the network of this Server1 and
> observe if the Server2 takes over.

You're bringing server1 down by taking down the NIC (assuming from #5).
This does take down the connection but it does so without closing the
TCP connection. Though this does represent worst-case scenarios, see
http://joejulian.name/blog/keeping-your-vms-from-going-read-only-when-encountering-a-ping-timeout-in-glusterfs/

> 3.This "fail over" works (almost 100% of the times), we see the CPU
> load from glusterfsd on Server2. As expected, Server1 does not have
> any load because is "offline".
>
> 4.After a while we bring up the NIC on Server1 again. In this step we
> realized that the expected behavior is that when bringing up this NIC,
> this server should take over again (something like active-passive
> behavior) but this happens only 5-10% of the times.  The CPU load is
> still on Server2.
I'm not sure I would have that expectation. The second server will have
taken over the open FD and the reads should come from there. The reads
for a given fd come from the first-to-respond to the lookup().

> 5.After some time, we bring down the NIC on Server2 expecting that
> Server1 takes over.  This second "fail over" crashes. The VM complains
> about I/O errors which can only be resolved by restarting the VM and
> sometimes even removing and creating the volume again.
>

> After some test, we realized that if restarting the glusterd daemon
> (/etc/init.d/glusterd restart) on Server1 after step 3 or before step
> 4, the Server1 takes over automatically without bringing down Server2
> or anything like that.
Check the logs for glusterd
(/var/log/glusterfs/etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log) for clues. Perhaps
the /way/ you're taking down the NIC is exposing some bug. Perhaps
instead of taking it down, use iptables or just killall glusterfsd.

> We tested this using the normal FUSE mount and libgfapi. If using
> FUSE, the local mount sometimes becomes unavailable (ls shows not more
> files) if the failover fails.
>

> We have a few fundamental questions in this regard:
>
> i) Is Gluster supposed to handle such a scenario or are we making
> wrong assumptions? Because the only solution we found is to restart
> the daemon when a network outage occurs, but this is not acceptable in
> a real scenario with VMs running real applications.
I host my (raw and qcow2) vm images on a gluster volume. Since my
servers are not expected to hard-crash a lot, I take them down for
maintenance (kernel updates and such) gracefully, killing the processes
first. This closes the TCP connections and everything just keeps humming
along.

> ii) What is the recommended configuration in terms of caching (QEMU:
> cache=none/writethrough/writeback) and direct I/O (FIO and Gluster) to
> maximize the reliability of the failover process? We varied the
> parameters but could find a working configuration. Do these parameters
> have an impact at all?
To the best of my knowledge, none of those should affect reliability.