[Gluster-users] New to GlusterFS

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Tue Oct 22 13:12:21 UTC 2013

The reason for the long (42 second) ping-timeout is because
re-establishing fd's and locks can be a very expensive operation.
Allowing a longer time to reestablish connections is logical, unless you
have servers that frequently die.

If you shut down a server through the normal kill process, the TCP
connections will be closed properly. The client will be aware that the
server is going away and there will be no timeout. This allows server
maintenance without encountering that issue.

One issue with a 42 second timeout is that ext4 may detect an error and
remount itself read only should that happen while the VM is running. You
can override this behavior by specifying the mount option,
"errors=continue" in fstab ("errors=remount-ro" is the default). The
default can be changed, as well, by changing the superblock option with
tune2fs.