[Gluster-users] Shutting down a GlusterFS server.

Hoggins! fuckspam at wheres5.com
Wed Oct 2 09:45:40 UTC 2013

Hello Bobby,

I experienced problems shutting down Gluster servers, because the
startup scripts (SystemD) did not have dependencies for system shutdown
that would stop the Gluster services before anything else. My problems
were also related to the fact that my nodes are connected to each other
through IPSec links, and during shutdown, the links were cut before the
Gluster service was properly shut down. The other node was waiting for
the well-known 42 seconds before considering the peer dead, hence not
responding to any file request, and hanging all client systems. Not cool.

So the best practice is simply to end the Gluster services before
shutting down the server. Everything runs as smooth as it should be, and
the clients don't notice any downtime.

Hope this helps.

    Hoggins!