[Gluster-users] glusterfs poor performance for my local machine (host and client on the same machine)

Cool coolbsd at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 28 05:55:40 UTC 2013

I'm not expert, but I can guess that to make the whole thing scalable,
gluster needs to go through gluster client, then network, then gluster
server, then native disk write, while native write does native disk only.

Again, it doesn't make sense to do such a comparison, or if single node
fit you, get rid of gluster.

-C.B.

On 11/27/2013 4:57 PM, lei yang wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Marcus Bointon
> <marcus at synchromedia.co.uk <mailto:marcus at synchromedia.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On 27 Nov 2013, at 09:30, lei yang <yanglei.fage at gmail.com
>     <mailto:yanglei.fage at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>>     I have a machine which have 5 hard disk
>>
>>     I want to use glusterfs to fast my disk
>
>     You do know that gluster is not about single-node performance?
>     You'll get far better performance by using RAID 0/1/5/10 on your
>     local machine. Gluster gives you multiple machine redundancy (like
>     RAID, but spread across multiple machines), and size scalability
>     beyond what you can fit in one box.
>
>>     root at ovpovp-S2600CP:/mnt/lyang0# dd if=/dev/zero bs=1000M
>>     count=10 of=./1G
>>     10+0 records in
>>     10+0 records out
>>     10485760000 bytes (10 GB) copied, 55.5562 s, 189 MB/s
>
>     From a single node that looks reasonable for gluster. You'd
>     probably get 3-4 times that with native local access.
>

> but the truth is it's much worse than use my native harddisk, that's
> is why I post my question, any setting is wrong with me ?
>

> Lei
>
>     Marcus

---