[Gluster-users] glusterfs poor performance for my local machine (host and client on the same machine)

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Wed Nov 27 09:14:16 UTC 2013

On 27 Nov 2013, at 09:30, lei yang <yanglei.fage at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a machine which have 5 hard disk
>
> I want to use glusterfs to fast my disk

You do know that gluster is not about single-node performance? You'll get far better performance by using RAID 0/1/5/10 on your local machine. Gluster gives you multiple machine redundancy (like RAID, but spread across multiple machines), and size scalability beyond what you can fit in one box.

> root at ovpovp-S2600CP:/mnt/lyang0# dd if=/dev/zero bs=1000M count=10 of=./1G
> 10+0 records in
> 10+0 records out
> 10485760000 bytes (10 GB) copied, 55.5562 s, 189 MB/s

From a single node that looks reasonable for gluster. You'd probably get 3-4 times that with native local access.

Marcus