[Gluster-users] Expanding legacy gluster volumes

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 19:17:47 UTC 2013

On 11/21/2013 01:08 PM, James wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-11-20 at 18:30 +0530, Lalatendu Mohanty wrote:
>> On 11/12/2013 05:54 AM, James wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> This is a hypothetical problem, not one that describes specific hardware
>>> at the moment.
>>>
>>> As we all know, gluster currently usually works best when each brick is
>>> the same size, and each host has the same number of bricks. Let's call
>>> this a "homogeneous" configuration.
>>>
>>> Suppose you buy the hardware to build such a pool. Two years go by, and
>>> you want to grow the pool. Changes in drive size, hardware, cpu, etc
>>> will be such that it won't be possible (or sensible) to buy the same
>>> exact hardware, sized drives, etc... A heterogeneous pool is
>>> unavoidable.
>>>
>>> Is there a general case solution for this problem? Is something planned
>>> to deal with this problem? I can only think of a few specific corner
>>> case solutions.
>> I am not sure about of issues you are expecting when a heterogeneous
>> configuration is used. As gluster is intelligent enough for handling
>> sub-volumes/bricks with different sizes.  So I think heterogeneous
>> configuration should not be a issue for gluster. Let us know what are
>> the corner cases you have in mind (may be this will give me some
>> pointers to think :)).
> I am thinking about performance differences, due to an imbalance of data
> stored on type A hosts, versus type B hosts. I am also thinking about
> performance simply due to older versus newer hardware. Even at the
> interconnect level there could be significant differences (eg: Gigabit
> vs. 10gE, etc...)
>
> I'm not entirely sure how well Gluster can keep the data proportionally
> balanced (eg: each brick has 60% or 70% free space, independent of
> actual Gb stored) if there is a significant enough difference in the
> size of the bricks. Any idea?

The dynamic hashing algorithm automatically works well to keep data
fairly distributed. But it will not 100% of the cases as the hash value
depends on the file name.  However Gluster can create data on another
brick if the one brick is full. User can decide (through a volume set
command) at what % data usage, Gluster should consider it is full. There
is a nice blog from Jeff about it.

http://hekafs.org/index.php/2012/03/glusterfs-algorithms-distribution/
>>> Another problem that comes to mind is ensuring that the older slower
>>> servers don't act as bottlenecks to the whole pool
>> I think this is unavoidable but the time-line for these kind of change
>> will be around 10 to 15 years. However we can replace bricks if the old
>> servers really slows the whole thing down.
> Well I think it's particularly elegant that Gluster works on commodity
> hardware, but it would be ideal if it worked with heterogeneous hardware
> in a much more robust way. The ideas jdarcy had mentioned seem like they
> might solve these problems in a nice way, but afaik they're just ideas
> and not code yet.

Agree!,  storage tiering is awesome idea. Like you mentioned it also
solves the performance issue in a heterogeneous setup.