[Gluster-users] Replace brick incomplete

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Mon Nov 18 15:49:31 UTC 2013

On 11/13/2013 05:24 PM, Raphael Rabelo wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm Brazillian and new member in the list, and i need a little help.
>
> Scenary:
>
> 2 servers in replicated mode (server1 and server2)
> 1 new server - server3 - that I'll replace by server2.
>
> Today i has just one volume (gv0) and 2 bricks - servergv01 and server2.
> I want replace server2 by server3, the volume (gv0) has a 1.1T in
> total used space.
>
> The steps that i followed was:
>
> 1. gluster peer probe server3
> 2. gluster volume replace-brick gv0 server2:/data server3:/data start
>
> After 2 days, the status of the migration was:
>
> Number of files migrated = 4308293       Migration Complete
>
> But just was copied 821G of server2:
> This is the second time that it occurs, the first time just was copied
> 124G.
>
> My gluster version is 3.3.1
>
> Can anyone help to find a solutjon, i need to remove all files and
> start again ?
>
> Thanks!

Replace brick code has some issues. Hence there are plans to retire
replace brick for cases where data migration is required (there was a
discussion in gluster-devel about it). However we can use add brick and
remove brick in a way which will work as a replacement for
replace-brick. Below are the steps.

  * Add new brick

                    # gluster volume add-brick <VOLNAME> [<replica>
<COUNT>] <NEW-BRICK> ...

  * *Do not**run rebalance*

  * Remove old brick

               #gluster volume remove-brick <VOLNAME> [replica <COUNT>]
<BRICK> ... start

  * #gluster volume remove-brick <VOLNAME> [replica <COUNT>] <BRICK> ...
    status

  * Once status shows all completed,

  * #gluster volume remove-brick <VOLNAME> [replica <COUNT>] <BRICK> ...
    commit

Thanks,
Lala