[Gluster-users] Multiple Volumes (bricks), One Disk

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Tue Nov 12 16:57:42 UTC 2013

Like Eric, I too use lvm to partition off bricks for different volumes.
You can even specify which physical device a brick is on when you're
creating your brick, ie. "lvcreate -n myvol_brick_a -l50 vg_gluster
/dev/sda1". This is handy if you have to replace the disk while the old
one is still alive as you can just install the replacement and do a
"pvmove".

Each brick uses memory. I have 15 volumes, 4 disks per server, and one
brick per volume per disk. 60 bricks would use a lot of memory. Rather
than buy a bunch more memory that would usually sit idle, I set
"performance.cache-size" to a number that would use up just enough
memory. Do experiment with that setting. It appears that size limit is
used for multiple caches so the actual memory used seems to be some
multiple of what you set it to.

When a server comes back after maintenance and the self-heals start,
having multiple bricks healing simultaneously can put quite a load on
your servers. Test that and see if it meets your satisfaction. I
actually kill bricks for non-essential volumes while the essential
volumes are healing, then use "volume start ... force" to start the
bricks for the degraded volumes individually to manage that.