[Gluster-users] Cassandra on Gluster

Jay Vyas jayunit100 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 14:54:09 UTC 2013

hi there brian.

***

1) I don't think anyone in the gluster community has done much with
Cassandra on gluster.    but i could be wrong.  See (3) for my (postulated)
reason why.

2) Have you considered *HBase* (which we are actively testing and playing
with on many hadoop distributions) or *Riak*?  Those are both much more
"gluster freindly", i think, in that they have a more modular
architecture.  Also, because of the fact that cassandra requires
ridiculously large files, I always wonder wether any file system (other
than Cassandra's file system) is really *that* good of a fit.

3) Just my opinion, but whereas Riak has a modular storeage backend, and
HBase has an abstract "org.apache.hadoop.FileSystem" interfacial backend -
Cassandra sort of tries to do everything.  Firstly, providing both
key/value storage infrastructure, and secondly providing its own
distributed file system implementation, making it a little bit more
monolithic of a component in your stack.

4) FYI: We've recently setup an HBase on Gluster two node vagrant recipe.
You should play with it if you get a chance:

git clone https://forge.gluster.org/vagrant/fedora19-gluster/trees/master
cd gluster-hbase-example
vagrant destroy --force && vagrant up

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Brian <bsilverwood at viddler.com> wrote:

>  Has anyone set up Cassandra on a Gluster file system (commit logs disk &
> data disks)?
>
> If so - any recommended gluster tweaks/settings?
>
> According to Datastax - these disks should be formatted to XFS. Any
> recommended settings for this?
>
> Lastly - In general has anyone used Gluster with a MySQL database and what
> have they seen as performance and bottlenecks?
>
> --
> Brian Silverwood
> Systems Administrator
> Viddler | Viddler.com <http://www.viddler.com> | 215-962-5829