[Gluster-users] Fwd: Self-heal and high load

Darren darren at delta-delta.co.uk
Mon May 13 15:43:02 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Gluster, and the company I work for uses it for storage
across 2 data centres. An issue has cropped up fairly recently with regards
to the self-heal mechanism.

Occasionally the connection between these 2 Gluster servers breaks or drops
momentarily. Due to the nature of the business it's highly likely that
files have been written during this time. When the self-heal daemon runs it
notices a discrepancy and gets the volume up to date. The problem we've
been seeing is that this appears to cause the CPU load to increase
massively on both servers whilst the healing process takes place.

After trying to find out if there were any persistent network issues I
tried recreating this on a test system and can now re-produce at will. Our
test system set up is made up of 3 VMs, 2 Gluster servers and a client. The
process to cause this was:
Add in an iptables rule to block one of the Gluster servers from being
reached by the other server and the client.
Create some random files on the client.
Flush the iptables rules out so the server is reachable again.
Force a self heal to run.
Watch as the load on the Gluster servers goes bananas.

The problem with this is that whilst the self-heal happens one the gluster
servers will be inaccessible from the client, meaning no files can be read
or written, causing problems for our users.

I've been searching for a solution, or at least someone else who has been
having the same problem and not found anything. I don't know if this is a
bug or config issue (see below for config details). I've tried a variety of
different options but none of them have had any effect.

Our production set up is as follows:
2 Gluster servers (1 in each DC) replicating to each other
We then have multiple other servers that store and retrieve files on
Gluster using a local glusterfs mount point.
Only 1 data centre is active at any one time
The Gluster servers are VMs on a Xen hypervisor.
All our systems are CentOS 5
Gluster 3.3.1 (I've also tried 3.3.2)

gluster02 ~ gluster volume info rmfs

Volume Name: volume1
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: 3fef44e1-e840-452e-b16b-a9fc698e7dfd
Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: gluster01:/mnt/store1
Brick2: gluster02:/mnt/store1
Options Reconfigured:
nfs.disable: off
auth.allow: 172.30.98.*
network.ping-timeout: 5

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you need anything
else from me, just ask.

Thanks,

Darren