[Gluster-users] How many subfolders in parent folders ?

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Wed May 8 20:26:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 22:09 +0200, alain meunier wrote:
> Hi Hans !
>
> Do you think that an hexadecimal way could do fine ?
I think it's not clear what problem you're trying to solve... It's
likely that the "data structure" you're using to solve your problem
won't be as efficient as you'd like.

> a/b/c/d/e/f/0/1/2...
>
> That way : 16 subfolders per directory.
>
> Will that be fine (performance wise) ?
I think the only way to be sure is to run some tests and see...

You'll at least get some idea of the order of magnitude when running
your cluster as say 4 virtual machines, and then as you scale this out
to iron, you could expect at least a linear increase.

(Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this being linear)

> Many thanks !
>
> Regards,
>
> Alain
Cheers,