[Gluster-users] GlusterFS VS OpenVZ kernel

Koleszár Ádám adam.koleszar at virtual-call-center.eu
Fri May 3 07:52:54 UTC 2013

Hi,

We have a problem with glusterFS. We are using it on Centos 5 machine
with OpenVZ kernel. Gluster daemon and gluster clients run on the host,
not in the container. Recently we noticed a problem when we upgraded the
OpenVZ kernel. After the upgrade there are strange errors in case of
accessing the gluster volume. There are a few folders that can't be seen
with 'ls' but if you give the whole path you can access the files in the
folder. If there is a folder with files in it and you type 'ls' it hangs
and only can be stopped with 'kill -9'.

We are using glusterfs 3.2.5 but we have tried with 3.2.7 and the same
happened.
With kernel version: 2.6.18-308.el5.028stab099.3 -- there were no errors.
With kernel version: 2.6.18-348.3.1.el5.028stab106.2 -- it has the above
mentioned errors

Unfortunately we don't have any information about the other kernels
between the two versions. We can reproduce the errors in production and
development environments. We created a new volume on our own test
computers but we cannot reproduce the bugs. If we mount the development
gluster volume on the test computers which are running the
2.6.18-348.3.1.el5.028stab106.2 OVZ kernel we cannot reproduce the bug.
That's why we think the gluster clients work with the new kernel but the
gluster daemon doesn't.

We'd like to ask if anybody have noticed this issue.

Best Regards,
Adam