[Gluster-users] About adding bricks ...

Markus Hubig mhubig at imko.de
Wed Mar 20 10:17:12 UTC 2013

Hi @all,

I've created a Distributed-Replicated Volume consisting of 4 bricks on
2 servers.

# gluster volume create glusterfs replica 2 transport tcp \
gluster0{0..1}:/srv/gluster/exp0 gluster0{0..1}:/srv/gluster/exp1

Now I have the following very nice replication schema:

+-------------+   +-------------+
|  gluster00  |   |  gluster01  |
+-------------+   +-------------+
| exp0 | exp1 |   | exp0 | exp1 |
+------+------+   +------+------+
    |      |          |      |
    +------+----------+      |
           |                 |
           +-----------------+

If one HD goes down, I'm backed! I'm even backed if one server goes down!
Great! But how will it be if I just add another Server with two bricks and
rebalance?

# gluster volume add-brick glusterfs gluster02:/srv/gluster/exp{0..1}
# gluster volume rebalance glusterfs start

The replication schema I obviously want is this:

+-------------+   +-------------+   +-------------+
|  gluster00  |   |  gluster01  |   |  gluster02  |
+-------------+   +-------------+   +-------------+
| exp0 | exp1 |   | exp0 | exp1 |   | exp0 | exp1 |
+------+------+   +------+------+   +------+------+
    |      |          |      |          |      |
    |      +----------+      +----------+      |

But I think I'll maybe get this one:

+-------------+   +-------------+   +-------------+
|  gluster00  |   |  gluster01  |   |  gluster02  |
+-------------+   +-------------+   +-------------+
| exp0 | exp1 |   | exp0 | exp1 |   | exp0 | exp1 |

So how can I get the schema I want? Is this even possible? The examples
in the official 'Admin Guide' are quite trivial and don't cover this
scenario.

Cheers, Markus