[Gluster-users] Slow read performance

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 16:55:01 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 12:02 PM, Thomas Wakefield wrote:
> Is there a way to make a ramdisk support extended attributes?

When I need a ramdisk, I usually do it this way:

* Use "dd if=/dev/zero ..." to create a large file in tmpfs, which can
use swap but will behave like a ramdisk as long as there's memory for it.

* Make the file appear as a disk using losetup.

* Use mkfs on the pseudo-disk and mount it.

The semantics, therefore, are the semantics of whatever filesystem you
used to format the pseudo-disk.  That includes xattrs if you used ext4,
XFS, etc.