[Gluster-users] Disappointing documentation?

Papp Tamas tompos at martos.bme.hu
Tue Mar 5 22:46:29 UTC 2013

On 03/05/2013 05:33 PM, Joe Julian wrote:

> It comes up on this list from time to time that there's not sufficient documentation on
> troubleshooting. I assume that's what some people mean when they refer to disappointing
> documentation as the current documentation is far more detailed and useful than it was 3 years ago
> when I got started. I'm not really sure what's being asked for here, nor am I sure how one would
> document how to troubleshoot. In my mind, if there's a trouble that can be documented with a clear
> path to resolution, then a bug report should be filed and that should be fixed. Any other cases that
> cannot be coded for require human intervention and are already documented.
>
> Please tell me your thoughts.

There is no online documentation for v3.3. Every google search points to
http://gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.2_Filesystem_Administration_Guide

There is an Admin guide, but it's in pdf and html gzipped? Is it fun?:)
Also I'm afraid this guide is RH specific.

For example there is this section:

"If you are using Samba to access GlusterFS FUSE mount, then POSIX ACLs are enabled by default.
Samba has been compiled with the
--with-acl-support
option, so no special flags are required
when accessing or mounting a Samba share."

How do you know about that?

Also there is no good cifs documentation.
I suggest adding a full smb.conf.
I asked here in the list for tuning help, with no answer, then later I found the solution by google.
For me max/min protocol = SMB2 was the trick. But there can be locking issues (for example Adobe
Premiere and Photoshop).
I don't blame the list, but the online, searchable documentation should be more helpful.

However of course this is a samba general issue at the same time.

And I think this guide should be used more or less by experts, not absolutely beginners.
If someone is looking for the right information, it's hard to find, because too verbose:

"Chapter 6. Accessing Data - Setting Up GlusterFS Client
28
6.3.1.2. Manually Mounting Volumes Using CIFS
You can manually mount Gluster volumes using CIFS on Microsoft Windows-based client machines.
To manually mount a Gluster volume using CIFS
1.
Using Windows Explorer, choose
Tools > Map Network Drive...
from the menu. The
Map
Network Drive
window appears.
2.
Choose the drive letter using the
Drive
drop-down list.
3.
Click
Browse
, select the volume to map to the network drive, and click
OK
.
4.
Click
Finish.
The network drive (mapped to the volume) appears in the Computer window.
Alternatively, to manually mount a Gluster volume using CIFS.
Click
Start > Run
and enter the following:
\\SERVERNAME\VOLNAME
For example:
\\server1\test-volume"

This whol cifs section is obviously only an example:)

Cheers,
tamas