[Gluster-users] 40 gig ethernet

Shawn Nock nock at nocko.se
Thu Jun 20 14:11:34 UTC 2013

Justin Clift <jclift at redhat.com> writes:
>> The other issue I have is with hardware RAID. I'm not sure if folks
>> are using that with gluster or if they're using software RAID, but
>> the closed source nature and crappy proprietary tools annoys all the
>> devops guys I know. What are you all doing for your gluster setups?
>> Is there some magical RAID controller that has Free tools, or are
>> people using mdadm, or are people just unhappy or ?
>
> Before joining Red Hat I was using Areca hardware.  But Areca (the
> company) was weird/dishonest when I tried to RMA a card that went bad.
>
> So, I advise people to keep away from that crowd.  Haven't tried any
> others in depth since. :/

I second the thoughts on Areca. They are a terrible company; avoid at
all costs. I've RMA'd every card I've installed of theirs that had been
in service for more that 6 months, some servers have had RMA returns
fail within months.

Their only US support option is "we'll ship it to Taiwan for repair and
return it is 6-8 weeks". There is no option to pay for advanced
replacement.

I had to keep a stock of spares in-house until I migrated to 3ware (now
LSI). I haven't had any trouble with these cards in several years (and
haven't needed to RMA or contact support).

--
Shawn Nock (OpenPGP: 0x65118FA5)