[Gluster-users] 40 gig ethernet

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Wed Jun 19 20:00:40 UTC 2013

On 17/06/2013, at 4:01 AM, James wrote:
<snip>
> I have to jump in here and add that I'm with you for the drivers
> aspect. I had a lot of problems with the 10gE drivers when getting
> gluster going. I haven't tested recently, but it's a huge worry when
> buying hardware. Even RedHat had a lot of trouble confirming if
> certain chips would work!

That's good to know about.  In my personal home dev/test lab here
I'm just using Mellanox DDR ConnectX cards ($39 on eBay! :>) and
running things with either IPoIB or in RDMA mode.  I did try switching
the cards into 10GbE mode (worked fine), but don't really see the
point of running these cards at half speed and worse (10GbE) in a
home lab. :)

> The other issue I have is with hardware RAID. I'm not sure if folks
> are using that with gluster or if they're using software RAID, but the
> closed source nature and crappy proprietary tools annoys all the
> devops guys I know. What are you all doing for your gluster setups? Is
> there some magical RAID controller that has Free tools, or are people
> using mdadm, or are people just unhappy or ?

Before joining Red Hat I was using Areca hardware.  But Areca (the
company) was weird/dishonest when I tried to RMA a card that went bad.

So, I advise people to keep away from that crowd.  Haven't tried any
others in depth since. :/

> PS: FWIW I wrote a puppet module to manage LSI RAID. It drove me crazy
> using their tool on some supermicro hardware I had. If anyone shows
> interest, I can post the code.

That corresponds to this blog post doesn't it? :)

  https://ttboj.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/puppet-lsi-hardware-raid-module/

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--