[Gluster-users] 40 gig ethernet

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Fri Jun 14 14:03:54 UTC 2013

I have been playing around with Gluster on and off for the last 6 years or
so. Most of the things that have been keeping me from using it have been
related to latency.

In the past I have been using 10 gig infiniband or 10 gig ethernet,
recently the price of 40 gig ethernet has fallen quite a bit with guys like
Arista.

My question is, is this worth it at all for something like Gluster? The
port to port latency looks impressive at under 4 microseconds, but I don't
yet know what total system to system latency would look like assuming QSPF+
copper cables and linux stack.

--
><>
Nathan Stratton                                               Founder, CTO
Exario Networks, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                                     nathan at
exarionetworks.com
http://www.robotics.net
http://www.exarionetworks.com/

Building the WebRTC solutions today that your customers will demand
tomorrow.