[Gluster-users] Rebalancing with no new bricks.

Harry Mangalam hjmangalam at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 21:55:04 UTC 2013

We have a glusterfs with 8 bricks on 4 servers. The filesystem is at ~73%
full, but today I got a 'device full error' from a failed batch job and
sure enough, one brick had filled.
I was able to probe the brick, find some duplicate files and delete enough
to allow the system to continue, but obviously this will be a continuing
problem.  I suspect that this is due to some very large files placed early
in the fs lifetime.

I understand that gluster does not allow gluster-rebalancing in the same
config (ie, without adding a brick), but would moving some offending files
to another fs and then copying them back tend to rebalance the FS by
distributing the copied files more evenly?

Or is the only solution to add (or clear) a brick and then rebalance across
it when added back in?

hjm

Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, OIT, Rm 225 MSTB, UC Irvine
[m/c 2225] / 92697 Google Voice Multiplexer: (949) 478-4487
415 South Circle View Dr, Irvine, CA, 92697 [shipping]
MSTB Lat/Long: (33.642025,-117.844414) (paste into Google Maps)