[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] [FEEDBACK] Governance of GlusterFS project

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Mon Jul 29 00:10:39 UTC 2013

Harshavardhana <harsha at harshavardhana.net> wrote:

> What is good for GlusterFS as a whole is highly debatable - since there
> are no module owners/subsystem maintainers as of yet at-least on paper.

Just my two cents on that: you need to make clear if a module maintainer
is a dictator or a steward for the module: does he has the last word on
anything touching his module, or is there some higher instance to settle
discussions that do not reach consensus?

IMO the first approach creates two problems:

- having just one responsible person for a module is a huge bet that
this person will have good judgments. Be careful to let a maintainer
position open instead of assigning it to the wrong person.

- having many different dictators each ruling over a module can create
difficult situations when a proposed change impacts many modules.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz
manu at netbsd.org