[Gluster-users] GlusterFS 3.4.0 and 3.3.2 released!

Pierre-Francois Laquerre pierre.francois at nec-labs.com
Tue Jul 16 14:29:14 UTC 2013

On 07/16/2013 08:48 AM, Jon Tegner wrote:
> Which of these two releases would work "best" using RDMA?

I haven't used RDMA myself, but from what I saw on irc, I would stick to
3.3.x:

16:03 < jclift> RDMA on 3.4 isn't properly working. :(
16:04 < dbruhn> what's not working properly?
16:05 < dbruhn> jclift, I thought there was a ton of effort going into
3.4 for IB/RDMA
16:05 < jclift> dbruhn: Well, I kept on hitting basic issues when trying
out distributed+replicated setups.
16:05 < jclift> dbruhn: (With RDMA )
16:05 < jclift> dbruhn: Yeah, there's been a large amount of code
improvements
16:06 < jclift> dbruhn: However, we've hit several bugs with rdma stuff
when testing, even though the tcp side seemed to not have issues at the
same point
16:07 < jclift> dbruhn: So, the thought process was pretty much "k, lets
get 3.4.0 out the door so non-rdma users have some goodness, and we'll
keep on working on rdma for (hopefully) 3.4.1"
16:07 < dbruhn> jclift, so what is needed for this to move past it?
16:08 < jclift> dbruhn: There are a couple of points to it. Note, this
is based on my opinion atm... :)
16:08 < jclift> dbruhn: Firstly, we need to get the Gluster Test
Framework updated so it can test RDMA stuff.
16:09 < jclift> dbruhn: That's in progress, but is kind of blocked by an
upstream Linux kernel bug, that kernel panics in the fuse module.  Niels
has a proposed patch to fix it:
16:09 < jclift> dbruhn: https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/7/15/203
(this is from 2013-Jul-16)

Pierre-Francois