[Gluster-users] Giving up [ was: Re: read-subvolume]

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Jul 10 19:24:17 UTC 2013

On 07/10/2013 03:18 PM, Joe Julian wrote:

> The "small file" complaint is all about latency though. There's very
> little disk overhead (all inode lookups) to doing a self-heal check. "ls
> -l" on a 50k file directory and nearly all the delay is from network RTT
> for self-heal checks (check that with wireshark).

Try it with localhost.  Build a small test gluster brick, take
networking out of the loop, create 50k files, and launch the self heal.
  RTT is part of it, but not the majority (last I checked it wasn't a
significant fraction relative to other metadata bits).

I did an experiment with 3.3.x a while ago with 2x ramdisks I created a
set of files, looped  back with losetup, built xfs fs atop them,
mirrored them with glusterfs, and then set about to doing metadata/small
file heavy workloads.  Performance was still abysmal.  Pretty sure none
of that was RTT.  Definitely a stack traversal problem, but I didn't
trace it far enough back to be definitively sure where it was.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com