[Gluster-users] Giving up [ was: Re: read-subvolume]

Allan Latham alatham at flexsys-group.de
Wed Jul 10 15:11:33 UTC 2013

Hi Jeff

OK - I've downloaded the source and I'm setting up to compile it for
Debian Wheezy.

I'll let you know how I get on. Maybe next week before I can run
preliminary tests.

Correct me if I'm wrong but geo-replication is master/slave?

We could maybe go with this in some scenarios as updates should be
controlled in any case so nominating a particular virtual server to be
the master is no problem. This is the 'roll out the same html files on
all the web servers' scenario. The web servers themselves mount this
volume RO. We have other similar config file scenarios.

Another use is really master/master and this is where we copy a backup
to a directory under unison control knowing that it will be safely on
two physical machines within a minute or two. Also use this as a lazy
way to move files between physical servers.

Later I want to also write log files to gluster so I know I've got them
on the other server if one of them goes down. The nearer this is to
'sync mode' the better but I can't stop logging just because the peer
machine is down or can't keep up. Unison can do this (I don't do it yet)
because it's async.

In short 'sync' replication is not an absolute must but we do use
master/master quite a bit.

I need to read up more on geo-replication.

All the best

Allan