[Gluster-users] read-subvolume

Allan Latham alatham at flexsys-group.de
Thu Jul 4 11:10:34 UTC 2013

Hi all

Does anyone use read-subvolume?

Has anyone tested read-subvolume?

Does read-subvolume work in such a way that if the file is present on
the local node the local copy is used rather than a remote one?

Alternatively is there any way to configure (or patch) gluster to always
prefer the local file?

I have read everything available and have found no answer.

Unison works very well in our environment but is not real time and needs
to be run every few minutes and/or be kicked off with inotify.

If I could get gluster to always read the local copy it would be a much
better drop in replacement.

This is a small scale deployment not a massive cluster but I can imagine
there are many potential users of gluster in this mode. It should beat
unison and similar solutions in every way - but it doesn't because it is
reading from the network even when it has a local up-to-date copy. This
can't be intended behaviour.

So what have I configured wrong?

Thanks in advance

Allan