[Gluster-users] NFS availability

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 19:17:32 UTC 2013

On 01/31/2013 01:59 PM, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> You don't want to use DNS in an environment where security is your first rule.
> If your DNS drops dead your setup is dead. Not very promising ...
> The basic goal of glusterfs has been to secure data by replicating it.
> Data distribution is really not interesting for us. Now you say "go and
> replicate your data for security, but use DNS to secure your setup".
> ???
> You really seem to like Domino-setups. DNS dead => everything dead.

This vulnerability can be reduced by using multiple DNS servers, and
even further by using local caches/proxies which can still do
round-robin for you.  There have also been solutions mentioned that
don't rely on DNS, so talking about DNS unreliability is a total red
herring.

>>    * The mount option backupvolfile-server. An fstab entry like
>>      "server1:myvol /mnt/myvol glusterfs backupvolfile-server=server2 0
>>      0" will allow the mount command to try server2 if server1 does not
>>      mount successfully.
>
> And how many backup servers do you want to name in your fstab? In fact you
> have to name all your servers because else there will always be at least one
> situation you are busted.

There is *always* at least one situation, however unlikely, where you're
busted.  Designing reliable systems is always about probabilities.  If
none of the solutions mentioned so far suffice for you, there are still
others that don't involve sacrificing the advantages of dynamic
configuration.  If your network is so FUBAR that you have trouble
reaching any server to fetch a volfile, then it probably wouldn't do you
any good to have one locally because you wouldn't be able to reach those
servers for I/O anyway.  You'd be just asking for split brain and other
problems.  Redesigning the mount is likely to yield less benefit than
redesigning the network that's susceptible to such failures.