[Gluster-users] NFS availability

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:36:51 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 09:07 -0800, Joe Julian wrote:
> That doesn't lend me much confidence in your expertise with regard to
> your other recommendations, Stephan.
>
> There are two good ways to make this work even if a server is down:
I'd just like to add one more option to the already excellent list that
Joe has provided. It happens to be my favourite: VRRP. You can use
something like Keepalived or even cman+rgmanager+an ip resource, to
manager a "virtual IP". Each of your servers has an IP, and then this
extra VIP moves around automatically based on what is actually up, and
where you want the mount to come from.

If you want to be particularly fastidious, then I suppose you could even
create a second VIP (which defaults to a different "base" node, and
which you use the below "backupvolfile-server" option.

VRRP has the added benefit that the failover happens within seconds, and
can be set manually if for some reason you want to choose which volfile
server you have.

HTH,
James