[Gluster-users] Extremely high CPU load on one server

Dan Bretherton d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 15:02:25 UTC 2013

Dear All-
I originally asked this question in another thread, but as it is a
separate problem I thought it deserved its own thread.

I had to extend two volumes recently and the layout fixes for both of
them are now running at the same time.  One server now has a load of
over 70 most of the time (mostly glusterfsd), but none of the others
seem to be particularly busy.  I restarted the server in question but
the CPU load quickly went up to 70 again.  I can't see any particular
reason why this one server should be so badly affected by the layout
fixing processes.  It isn't a particularly big server, with only five
3TB bricks involved in the two volumes that were extended.  One
possibility is that a lot of batch jobs on our compute cluster are
accessing the same set of files that just happen to be on this one
server, which could potentially happen because I have not been able to
rebalance the files in the storage volumes for a long time after the
last attempt resulted in data corruption (in GlusterFS version 3.2).
However, poorly distributed files certainly isn't the whole story,
because even when there is not much running on the compute cluster the
storage server load remains extremely high.

Can anyone suggest a way to troubleshoot this problem?  The rebalance
logs don't show anything unusual but glustershd.log has a lot of
metadata split-brain warnings.   The brick logs are full of scary
looking warnings but none flagged 'E' or 'C'.  The trouble is that I see
messages like these on all the servers, and I can find nothing unusual
about the server with a CPU load of 70.  Users are complaining about
very poor performance, which has been going on or several weeks, so I
must at least find a work-around that allows people to work normally.

-Dan.

--
Mr. D.A. Bretherton
Computer System Manager