[Gluster-users] Write failure on distributed volume with free space available

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 22:37:53 UTC 2013

On 01/28/2013 05:19 PM, Ling Ho wrote:
> How "full" does it has to be before new files start getting written into
> the other bricks?

By default, min-free-disk is set to 10% and min-free-inodes is set to 5%.

> In my recent experience, I added a new brick to an existing volume while
> one of the existing 4 bricks was close to full. And yet I constantly get
> out of space error when trying to write new files. Full rebalancing was
> also such as slow process that it cannot keep up with new files I need
> to write to the volume.

Yes, rebalancing is slow.  I have work in progress to make it less slow
by doing the fix-layout part minimally instead of for every single
directory in the entire volume, and to skip the migrate-data part
entirely in favor of just letting new data get placed onto new bricks.
I don't know when those will make it into a release, but if you're
interested you can read about the work in progress here.

http://hekafs.org/index.php/2012/03/spreading-the-load/
http://hekafs.org/index.php/2012/05/the-quest-for-balance/
http://review.gluster.org/#change,3573