[Gluster-users] Errors in documentation for 3.2 to 3.3 upgrade path

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Wed Jan 23 23:43:13 UTC 2013

Hi,
Last night I attempted to upgrade some GlusterFS servers from 3.2.x to
3.3.1.

The upgrade did NOT go smoothly, and I'm quite disappointed in the
documentation for the upgrade as it was quite erroneous.

I followed this guide:
http://www.gluster.org/2012/05/upgrading-to-glusterfs-3-3-0/

The part I take issue with is step 5, which mentions:
  glusterd –xlator-option *.upgrade=on -N

That command very definitely does not run successfully.
Reading the docs and the comments made it clear that a hypen was
missing, however even the following command only returns an error:

  glusterd --xlator-option *.upgrade=on -N

I then took a guess based on the docs, and tried this instead:

  glusterd --xlator-option*.upgrade=on -N

That command exited without an error message, so initially I thought it
had succeeded; however when I checked the contents of the vol files, I
found that they had not been changed or upgraded at all.
In /var/log/gluster/ there was a file called
"--xlator-option*.upgrade=on.log"
and it just contained errors about invalid mount points.

Sooooooooo my questions are:
1) what is the correct way to upgrade a 3.2 cluster to 3.3?
2) What are the consequences of having effectively skipped whatever that
command was meant to do?
3) how can an eight month old wiki page on the upgrade be so wrong and
yet no-one has noticed??

-Toby