[Gluster-users] Targeted fix-layout?

Dan Bretherton d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk
Tue Jan 15 18:10:22 UTC 2013

Dear All-
I am running a fix-layout operation on a volume after seeing errors
mentioning "anomalies" and "holes" in the logs.  There is a particular
directory that is giving trouble and I would like to be able to run the
layout fix on that first.  Users are experiencing various I/O errors
including "invalid argument" and "Unknown error 526", but after running
for a week the volume wide fix-layout doesn't seem to have reached this
particular directory yet. Fix-layout takes a long time because there are
millions of files in the volume and the CPU load is consistently very
high on all the servers while it is running, sometimes over 20.
Therefore I really need to find a way to target particular directories
or speed up the volume wide fix-layout.

I have no idea what caused these errors but it could be related to the
previous fix-layout operation, which I started following the addition of
a new pair of bricks, not having completed successfully.  The problem is
that the rebalance operation on one or more servers often fails before
completing and there is no way (that I know of) to restart or resume the
process on one server.  Every time this happens I stop the fix-layout
and start it again, but it has never completed successfully on every
server despite sometimes running for several weeks.

One other possible cause I can think of is my recent policy of using XFS
for new bricks instead of ext4.  The reason I think this might be
causing the problem is that none of the other volumes have any XFS
bricks yet and they aren't experiencing any I/O errors.  Are there any
special mount options required for XFS, and is there any reason why a
volume shouldn't contain a mixture of ext4 and XFS bricks?

Regards,
Dan.